Friday, December 30, 2005

Headaches, Jazz, and New Year traditions!

Hey all! Whew what a week this has been! I see beautiful baby snuck on here again :) He knows he can get away with such things because he is so cute in my biased opinion.
This week has been grand. I got to escape Mr. Nephew from daycare early one day and we had a good afternoon. I got to cook for somebody which I haven't been able to do in a while since I live alone. I got some new shelves and such to put more pictures of my two favorite boys (like I don't have a thousand out already...oh well until there is someone to replace them, they are it!) I caught up with my best friend to see how her first Christmas as a married woman went :) and caught her up on the developments in my life. Then it was back to work yesterday...

So last night I went to a surprise Bday party for a friend. Was feeling terrific but for some reason after I got there I started getting a headache and before the food even came my head was spinning as bad as if I had just been turning in circles really fast. Luckily I had not ordered anything so I excused myself and went home. I took medicine but it did not help at all :( I finally turned all lights off except for the fish tank light, turned on some Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong, pulled a blanket over my head and laid there. I heard one of my favorite songs by Louis Armstrong and that is "A Kiss To Build A Dream On." These are the lyrics:
Gimme a kiss to build a dream on
And my imagination
Will thrive upon that kiss
Sweetheart,I ask no more than this
A Kiss to build a dream on
Give me a kiss before you leave me
and my imagination will feed my hungry heart
Leave me one thing before we part
A kiss to build a dream on
When I'm alone with my fancies
I'll be with you, Weaving romances
Making believe they're true
Oh, gimme your lips for just a moment
and my imagination
will make that moment live
Give me what you alone can give
A kiss to build a dream on
Gimme a kiss to build a dream on
And my imagination
Will thrive upon that kiss
Sweetheart,I ask no more than this
A Kiss to build a dream on
Give me a kiss before you leave me
and my imagination
will feed my hungry heart
Leave me one thing before we part
A kiss to build a dream on
When I'm alone with my fancies
I'll be with you Weaving romances
Making believe they're true
Oh, gimme your lips for just a moment
and my imagination
will make that moment live
Give me what you alone can give
A kiss to build a dream on.
Great song! Which leads me into my next topic...New Year Traditions or Superstitions...some I like and some are just crazy...ha ha!
Kissing at midnight: We kiss those dearest to us at midnight not only to share a moment of celebration with others, but also to ensure that those affections and ties will continue throughout the next twelve months. To fail to smooch our significant others at that time would be to set the stage for a year of coldness.
My favorite (of course) is this one being the Imp that I am ;) Don't want a year of coldness!

Stocking Up: The new year must not be seen in with bare cupboards, lest that be the way of things for the year. Larders must be topped up and plenty of money must be placed in every wallet in the place to guarantee a prosperous year.
Ok I can see this, being stocked up would be a good start for the year.

Paying Off Bills: The new year should not be begun with the household in debt, so checks should be written and mailed off prior to January 1st. Likewise, personal debts should be settled before the New Year arrives.
Oh that is a definitely good idea. I just wish that was true about my student loans...ugh!

First Footing: The first person to enter your home after the stroke of midnight will influence the year you're about to have. Ideally, he should be dark-haired, tall, and good-looking, and it would be even better if he came bearing certain small gifts such as a lump of coal, a silver coin, a bit of bread, a sprig of evergreen, and some salt. Blonde and redhead first footers bring bad luck, and female first footers should be shooed away before they bring disaster down on the household. Aim a gun at them if you have to, but don't let them near your door before a man crosses the threshold.
Ok this is....ridiculous! As a female I must dismiss this superstition, and why must the male be dark hair, tall and good looking? A bit discriminatory I would say...and what if you lived in an area with only blondes? Hmm? Yeah that is what I thought. This one is silly!

Nothing Goes Out: Nothing -- absolutely nothing, not even garbage -- is to leave the house on the first day of the year. If you've presents to deliver on New Year's Day, leave them in the car overnight. Don't so much as shake out a rug or take the empties to the recycle bin.
Ok well I am not sure why this is so but I guess I could comply if I needed to...except this Imp is leaving the house ha ha!

Black-Eyes Peas: A tradition common to the southern states of the USA dictates that the eating of black-eyed peas on New Year's Day will attract both general good luck and money in particular to the one doing the dining. Some choose to add other Southern fare to this tradition, but the black-eyed peas are key.
I like black-eye peas so no problem there!

Work: Make sure to do -- and be successful at -- something related to your work on the first day of the year, even if you don't go near your place of employment that day. Limit your activity to a token amount, though, because to engage in a serious work project on that day is very unlucky. Also, do not do the laundry on New Year's Day, lest a member of the family be 'washed away' (die) in the upcoming months. The more cautious eschew even washing dishes.
Ok no laundry doing hooray! But doing accounting on a Sunday is almost sacrileges ha ha!

New Clothes: Wear something new on January 1 to increase the likelihood of your receiving more new garments during the year to follow.
No problem, I love new clothes!---Froofroo

Money: Do not pay back loans or lend money or other precious items on New Year's Day. To do so is to guarantee you'll be paying out all year.
Sorry friends you will have to wait until Monday before I can loan you money...oh wait have to have some to be able to loan...oh well.

Breakage: Avoid breaking things on that first day lest wreckage be part of your year. Also, avoid crying on the first day of the year lest that activity set the tone for the next twelve months.
Ok I broke a car window today so I am safe....nobody make me cry Sunday!

Letting the Old Year Out: At midnight, all the doors of a house must be opened to let the old year escape unimpeded. He must leave before the New Year can come in, says popular wisdom, so doors are flung open to assist him in finding his way out.
Hmm weird!

Loud Noise: Make as much noise as possible at midnight. You're not just celebrating; you're scaring away evil spirits, so do a darned good job of it! According to widespread superstition, evil spirits and the Devil himself hate loud noise. We celebrate by making as much of a din as possible not just as an expression of joy at having a new year at our disposal, but also to make sure Old Scratch and his minions don't stick around. (Church bells are rung on a couple's wedding day for the same reason.)
Ohh I am very good at making loud noise! Hooray! No problem there!

Nifty! It is so interesting to this Imp to see some of the old traditions and superstitions that have evolved over the years. Hope you all enjoyed them as well! I have to get going now...work needs to be done...bleh!

Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Bsoholic said...

All pretty interesting. My mom makes black eyed peas every Jan. 1st.

The whole not going out thing seems a bit much though. lol

Have a safe and happy New Year!