Sunday, February 28, 2010

The little ole lady that lived in a shoe.....

Remember the rhyme, there was an ole lady that lived in a shoe, she had so many children she didn't know what to do? There are many times I wish I could be that woman.

Now before you say "here she goes with the baby thing again" this is not due to the "baby itch".

James 1:27 says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." NIV

I have always had a soft spot for orphans. I have always highly admired people who adopt children, enriching the lives of little ones who might not have had a good chance otherwise. I especially admire people who can adopt older orphans.
Adoption takes a lot of faith. It takes a person being able to say "Ok God, I am willing to take this leap of faith and go to the child to which you lead me. I trust you in helping me raise this child which you have brought into my life."

My biggest problem though is I have too much heart for orphans. Whenever I see sites like UnAdopted, or read stories about orphans, my heart literally hurts. I feel almost a hopelessness because there are so many out there that need love. Simply that...love.
My heart weeps when I think of all the babies out there like Princess Penguin that don't have someone to cuddle, kiss and love all over them. I want to gather them all up and love on them all. I know this is impossible, but it does not soften the pain.

Most orphanages provide the basic needs: food, clothing, roof over head, but none of them provide the spiritual need of love. Due to understaffing of most orphanages, overworked staff members cannot focus their attention on just one, or even two children when there are a hundred more that need attention too.

The simple act of a hug, a bedtime story, laying in the grass looking at the shapes of the clouds, a cookie cutter shaped peanut butter sandwhich, a happy Tuesday surprise, a laugh over a silly joke, a shoulder to cry on while being held in arms that feel safe.....all of these missed because the orphanage cannot give such things.

My heart really aches for the orphans in this world, but I find myself asking God "What can I do?" "What can one Imp do for all those lonely babies out there?"

This post is not about resolution but rather expression.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow--what this is , is a beautiful comment on the way i raised you--you only know what it is like because you lived a life filled with love--thanks muffin :)