Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Biscuits from Scratch

After hours of a cramping stomach and not so nice pain last night, I decided I had better keep the food bland today. So this evening as I was being a couch-potato and doing laundry I decided to make biscuits from scratch.

I made sure I had my recipe and all my ingredients.
I used:
2 cups sifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I used garlic salt)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk

\I sifted my flour as I was measuring it. I do not have one of those big sifters so I used my little hand one and sifted it straight into the measuring cup.

As I was sifting out the flour, I sifted the baking powder into it to make sure it mixed well. I then added my salt.

I added my cheese then cut my butter into little pieces and used my hands to smoosh the butter into the flour. Smoosh is the French word for blend, isn't that what they always say on Food Network? :)

I then poured the milk in a little bit at a time and worked the ingredients with my hand to begin to form the dough. I find it easier just to dig in and use my hands rather than try a utensil. I formed my dough ball and put in on lightly floured wax paper.

I got out my handy dandy rolling pin and rolled it out to about 1/2 inch thin. I could not find a round cookie cutter so I used my heart shaped one since it is the closest I could find to round.

I cut and rolled and cut and rolled until I had all the dough cut and onto my baking sheet. I preheated the oven to 450 and put them in to bake for about 10 - 15 minutes.

At the ten minute mark, I pulled them out and brushed the tops with melted butter. This adds more flavor and helps the tops brown nicely.

And here they are, fresh out of the oven and looking yummy to eat! Bon Apetit!

Until Next Time.....

No comments: